OS5/OS9 Optical Stars Create Serial Data
For Reliable Industrial and Substation Communications
OS5HRT and OS9HRT Optical Stars provide network designers
with a convenient "hub and
topology capability. Optical Stars are available with either
five or nine ports, with multimode and/or single-mode optics
providing a full optical budget on each port. To further provide
flexibility in configuring network topologies, Optical Stars can
be used in Master/Slave or Peer-to-Peer mode and cascaded by
simply connecting a port from one Optical Star to a port of the
next (in Master/Slave mode it must be a slave port connected to
the next master).
Dymec Optical Stars are ideal for Master/Slave polling
applications such as multiple meters, relays and other
statistical devices as well as broadcasting IRIG-B to multiple
devices where fiber offers extended range and isolation from
interference. Optical Stars also allow you to take one or more
devices out of service while all others continue to operate.
This is invaluable in most applications.
Optical Stars are passive to all software protocols, and
ports cannot be addressed by software. Data rates from dc to 2M
bps are supported. Optical Stars are optically compatible with
Dymec models 5843, 5844, 5845 and 5846, as well as all 3900
Chassis serial cards and all serial optical ports of the Network
Integration System products. Optical Stars are also compatible
with most IEDs with embedded optical ports using amplitude
modulation. These units are available in 19-inch rack mount and
can be configured for panel mounting.
View Product Brochure
View Installation Sheet
Features and Benefits
Links and Stars Presentation
- 5 and 9 port Fiber Optic Serial Stars enable networking
of multiple Serial devices
- Optic Serial Stars allow any Intelligent Electronic
Device (IED) to de-energize without affecting the rest of
- Extended distances of 5km with Multimode fiber and >25km
with Single-mode fiber.
- Data Rates: dc to 2 Mbs. Can support any mix of RS232 or
422/485 with Dymec Links.
- Each data channel has its own diagnostic LED for easier
debug during installation.
- Operating temperature of -40°C to +85°C
- Optional RS232 copper master port in place of fiber
- Powered from Station battery bus.
- Multimode and/or Single-Mode Fiber.
- 19-inch rack or panel mount.
- Conformal coating of PC boards.
- Packaged in rugged, industrial quality Galvaneal and