RS232 Single Channel Links
SubStation Hardened RS232 Serial Copper
to Fiber Link/Repeaters
For Reliable Substation Communications
Dymec models 5843 and 5844 are hardened fiber optic
Link/Repeaters that convert RS232 or TTL level
to amplitude based fiber output. 5843 and 5844
Link/Repeaters support data rates from dc to 250k bps, DCE
or DTE port configuration and a diagnostic/test mode that
allows testing of the copper and fiber connections before
the connected IED is active in the network.
Dymec Links media converters are Class 1, Div 2 certified
for use in hazardous locations in the US and
Canada. The Class 1, Div 2 certification mark allows use of Dymec Links in
ignitable environments requiring spark-free operation. This
is a requirement for many customers, particularly those in
petroleum and petrochemical applications, where hazardous
ignitable environments abound.
By simply setting a few switches, the Dymec 5843 and 5844
Link/Repeaters can be configured for point-to-point, star,
optical bus, or loop networks, and permit quick, easy
connection of devices. For example, an extensive multi-drop
network -- where two or more intelligent electrical devices
are connected and communicating -- can be constructed simply
by connecting the devices through Link/Repeaters.
5843 and 5844 Link/Repeaters may optically connect
devices of different formats, eliminating the need for
format converters. For example, an RS232 IED may be
connected to a model 5844 which is optically connected to a
model 5846, which, in turn, can communicate electrically to
its IED electrically in EIA 485.
Features and Benefits
- Single Channel RS232 or TTL Logic Levels
- Powered from Station Battery Bus to C37.90 or 12 Vdc
- Operates reliably at temperatures of -40°C to 85°C
with no fans.
- Class 1, Div 2 certified for use in hazardous
- Extended distances of 6 km over Multimode fiber and
30 km over Single-mode fiber.
- Multiple Mounting choices with built-in mounting
brackets and optional mounting shelf
- Packaged in rugged, industrial-quality Galvaneal and
powder coated shells
- 4 Diagnostic LEDs for easier debug of installation
- Conformal coated PC Boards
- Compatible with all earlier 5843/5844 versions of
- 5-year warranty